Monday 21 May 2012

Pam Lawrence


One of my mother's best friends died while I was away. Luckily, her memorial service only took place today. I recall during one of our usual family holidays in Seaview, my mother taking the telephone call which told us that Pam's son William had contracted polio. Strangely, this life-changing event was not referred to at all during today's service: Pam devoted a large part of her life and all her energies towards William's wellbeing: it was her greatest "achievement", alongside seeing to the happiness of her husband, Bill, a sweet man - he too never rated a mention. These day-to-day things deserve better celebration.

My photograph shows Bill's grave, strewn with flowers sent by Pam's friends and family, a lovely sight. And the weather has at last changed, a beautiful day for a funeral.

No comments: