Thursday 3 February 2011

Home comfort


The Donmar production of King Lear came to (our) town tonight as to many others with a Cineworld. Another great opportunity to hear Shakespeare at top level.

So many passages seemed fresh and new - and to the point: "Unaccommodated man is no more but such a poor, bare, forked animal as thou art." This was particularly apt for Poverty & Homelessness Action Week, when it's salutary to remind oneself of how lucky it is to have a house of one's own. My two sisters and I each, outright or jointly, own a home, and have done so for most of our adult lives. But none of my four children, by contrast, though adult, have a home of their own: some I suppose may never have one.

Meanwhile our home has today acquired its new-look solar panels, levered up with great effort onto the roof and about to spring into action, we hope. The house itself is blissfully warm throughout, thanks to our new boilers: I doubt if it has ever been warmer.

No comments: