Sunday 17 January 2010

Today is the 43rd world day of peace


For (I think) the first time since I began my blog, I have borrowed someone else's image to illustrate my post for today, Peace Sunday.

The man in the picture is John Gebhardt, a Chief Master Sergeant in the USAF serving in Afghanistan - as high as you can go in enlisted ranks (E-9). The little girl's entire family was executed. Insurgents intended to execute the little girl also: they shot her in the head, but failed to kill her. She was cared for in John Gebhardt's hospital and is healing, but continues to cry and moan. The nurses said John is the only one who seems to calm her down, so John has spent recent nights holding her while they both slept in that chair.

(Thanks to Frank Regan for sending me this story.)

No comments: