Thursday 14 August 2014

Wednesday walking resumed



Two of us only set out from Staunton yesterday, in the direction of Hasfield. It's not an area I knew - on foot anyway - and I underestimated the difficulties: a longish walk, for instance, through the prevalent crop, in order to avoid brambles and nettles - yes, it was maize as high as an elephant's eye (and on O what a beautiful morning).

We felt the need for lunch, so started the return leg before reaching Hasfield. Instead, to visit the church, we drove by on our way home: well, not "by" exactly - it's very tucked away, but worth discovering if only for a fine outlook from its graveyard. In fact, there are good views all round. At one stage, I was surprised by finding Gloucester Cathedral in my sights, when I fancied I'd be looking towards Cheltenham.

I read today of the death of Lauren Bacall. She thought "your whole life shows in your face and you should be proud of that." By Staunton church, with its 2,000-year-old yew tree, I bumped into a not-quite-so-old friend, who seemed to bear her out.

No comments: