Friday 26 September 2008

Bears up!


Warwickshire County Cricket Club are today celebrating their victory in the County Championship - albeit only its second division. But this means that next year they will be back in the first division, where of course they rightly belong.

Born in Birmingham, I was always a staunch Warwickshire supporter, and indeed suffered for it in the late '50s/early '60s at school (in Yorkshire - and with plenty of Surrey contemporaries). It's years since I went to watch Warwickshire play, but during the season I follow their progress closely in the paper: a win the previous day always gives me a boost the next morning.

There must be thousands of men my age who share this fervency, but will future generations? I don't detect any County cricket enthusiasm in my three sons, let alone Agnes. Who will want to inherit my grandfather Gateley's oddly-shaped Ampleforth College cricket cap I wonder.

No comments: